Monday, June 15, 2009

Daybook for June 15, 2009

I have been enjoying reading other people's daybook entries on their blogs and am finally going to try to do some of my own. I think it is a great way to make a weekly journal entry about what's going on in the family and around the home, something that will be fun to look back at and to keep focused on the week that lies ahead.

Outside my window... it is dark, as I am writing this after 10 pm. I am sure the baby birds are all cozy in their nest.

I am thinking... about whether or not I should make the BBQ sauce now (er, when I finish this post) or in the morning. I need it for a slow cooker recipe for tomorrow. Hopefully typing it here will make me remember to do it! ;)

I am thankful... that Cecilia went to sleep easily tonight. She's getting teeth numbers 13 and 14, and has had a restless time the past few evenings.

Learning at home... watching the squash and tomatoes grow in the garden and checking on our baby birds.


From the kitchen... I've been on a cooking kick lately (okay, when am I not, at least mentally?)... Falafels yesterday, oatmeal scones today, a turkey breast in the crock pot to be used for cold sandwiches for lunch this week (as well as going in the freezer to be used for future dinners), grilled flank steak fajitas coming this weekend.

I am reading... Finally finished Mothering Your Nursing Toddler. Didn't read it all with my first nursing toddler because she wasn't a typical toddler. I found it much more useful this time now that I have a nursing toddler who displays the "typical" traits of having tantrums and saying "mine" a lot, lol. I will begin reading Beyond the Birds and the Bees soon... it is in my "to-read" basket now.

To live the liturgy... This Friday is the Solemnity of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. I'm going to try to come up with some kind of activity to celebrate... And Saturday is the Memorial of the Immaculate Heart of Mary. Hmmm... heart-shaped biscuits are always popular. Caroline loves to use the heart cookie cutter on the buscuit dough!

I am creating... lots of crafts out of felt. Caroline and I made sock puppets, I made felt board characters, and yesterday we made finger puppets for The Three Little Pigs - and a big wolf sock puppet to go with them.

the three pigs holding their straw, sticks, and bricks

the big, bad wolf on Caroline's hand

Around the house... laundry hanging to dry in the sunroom to be put away tomorrow, cloth diaper load to be dried and folded.

I am hearing... the white noise machine through the baby monitor; Chris typing on his laptop next to me; the rumble of thunder in the distance.

One of my favorite things... our two blueberry bushes in the backyard. Not as big of a harvest this year, it looks like... but still enough to make a pie or cobbler or two, I hope.

A few plans for the rest of the week... We might do story time at the library tomorrow. They have their summer reading program going on, and if I read to Caroline for ten hous, we can get a free pass to the Creative Discovery Museum. Ironically, we will be going there on Thursday using the free pass we got from the library last year. Gran will be coming to visit Wednesday through Friday. We may go to the lake to swim on Friday - the high is supposed to be 97 that day, the hottest of the year! There's a trip to the bank (ugh) later this week for LLL business, and on Friday evening we may try to make it (if Cecilia can manage to sleep past 6:30 that morning!) to the retirement social for Father Jim, our parish priest who has been there for nearly 20 years!

A picture thought I am sharing...

"...not by the hair of my chinny-chin-chin!"

1 comment:

V. said...

I love the piggy puppets!